Guns & Weapons Attorney in New York City
Trusted for over 20 Years - Many Cases Successfully Handled
If you are facing gun, firearm, or weapons charges in New York City, you need highly qualified and experienced legal representation on your side. You need a criminal defense attorney in New York City who is well versed with New York's gun possession laws, which when applied to honest, law-abiding people who make a mistake, are among the most draconian gun possession laws in the entire nation. The Law Office of Mark A. Bederow, P.C. has the skill, ability, and compassion necessary to help individuals facing weapon charges through their legal nightmare.
Mr. Bederow's zealous and successful advocacy for law-abiding and decent citizens facing years in a New York state prison has led him to become the leading New York criminal defense attorney in gun possession cases. Mr. Bederow has helped many clients obtain acquittals or dismissals with their cases. With a track record of success and experience spanning more than 20 years, Mr. Bederow understands the legal landscape and provides seasoned advice on what is needed to secure a favorable outcome under the circumstances, whether by jury trial acquittal, grand jury dismissal, negotiated dismissal through the prosecutor, or in certain situations, a guilty plea of some sort.
Some of Mr. Bederow's successes include the following cases:
- A Florida landscaper faced 3 ½ years in prison after accidentally bringing a loaded firearm into New York. Mr. Bederow made national news after his representation led to a Manhattan jury acquitting the client in less than 30 minutes.
- A musician from Florida faced 3 ½ years in state prison after accidentally bringing a loaded firearm into New York. A Queens grand jury dismissed the charges after the client testified.
- An advertising executive was charged with possession of a switchblade knife. Mr. Bederow filed a lengthy motion to dismiss, and in the interest of justice, the Brooklyn District Attorney dismissed the case.
- A former Marine was in possession of a loaded .45 at the Empire State Building. Mr. Bederow represented the case – which received national attention – and the accused avoided any charges of a felony and received a non-jail disposition.
- A Montana businessman checked in at La Guardia Airport with a loaded firearm. Mitigating circumstances were presented to the Queens District Attorney by Mr. Bederow, and the charges were eventually dismissed and sealed.
- A resident of Louisiana checked in at La Guardia Airport with a firearm. The result of the case was a non-criminal, no jail outcome.
- A California man checked in at La Guardia Airport with a firearm. The case ended in a non-criminal, no jail outcome.
- An Iowa resident checked in at La Guardia Airport with a firearm. The charges were eventually dismissed and sealed after Mr. Bederow presented mitigating circumstances to the Queens District Attorney.
- A New York cab driver left a firearm in his vehicle and was indicted for possession. Mr. Bederow successfully negotiated with the Brooklyn District Attorney, resulting in a dismissal of the indictment.
Can You Own a Gun in NY With a Misdemeanor?
New York does not allow people with convictions of specific violent misdemeanors, considered as “serious offenses” from getting a license to buy weapons and will also lead to their gun license from being revoked. The prohibition also applies to individuals with an outstanding warrant of arrest for serious offenses such as misdemeanor stalking, sexual offense convictions, child endangerment, trespass, assault, harassment.
Defense Against Serious Weapons Charges
If you have been accused of illegal possession of a gun, firearm, or other weapon, you are likely facing years in a New York state prison In the event of an indictment, New York has mandated sentencing guidelines which generally require state prison.