New York City Domestic Violence Lawyer
Domestic Violence Charges in NY
Domestic violence is defined as violence committed against family members, spouses, or individuals who live together or have been intimate with each other. Allegations of domestic violence are taken seriously by law enforcement officials and prosecutors.
Examples of domestic violence include:
- Child abuse
- Sexual assault
- Criminal contempt
If you have been arrested for domestic violence, it is imperative that you secure representation from the Law Office of Mark A. Bederow, P.C. as soon as possible. With your future and your reputation on the line, you need the support of a trusted domestic violence lawyer in New York City. Our firm offers the aggressive and results-driven counsel you are seeking.
Contact us at (212) 256-9491 today for a free consultation with a New York City criminal defense attorney.
Is Verbal Abuse a Crime in NY?
Verbal abuse in New York is illegal. Along with verbal abuse, up-skirt photos, following, groping, hate crimes, indecent exposure are also illegal.
How a Domestic Violence Conviction Can Affect You
The consequences of a domestic violence arrest or conviction can be severe. Not only might you face jail time, but you will likely be subjected to an order of protection that prevents you from communicating with the alleged victim. You may face other negative collateral consequences, such as having the arrest used against you in divorce proceedings or in custody disputes involving children. You may also face personal and professional consequences, which result from the negative stigma of being labelled as an abuser.
You Cannot Afford to Plead Guilty
Domestic violence cases require the counsel of an attorney who understands how to assess the strength of a case and who can conduct a thorough investigation of the alleged incident.
Mr. Bederow successfully prosecuted domestic violence cases while he was a Manhattan prosecutor, and he has successfully defended such cases as a New York City domestic violence attorney.
With experience on both sides of the courtroom, Mr. Bederow knows how to effectively defend his clients. If you believe you might be arrested for domestic violence, or if you have been arrested, call the Law Office of Mark A. Bederow, P.C. to discuss your situation.
Examples of some of Mr. Bederow's successes include the following:
- He secured an acquittal after a trial in Manhattan for a banking executive accused of sexually assaulting and beating his girlfriend.
- He gained a dismissal of all charges against an NYPD Captain accused of assaulting his wife.
- Mr. Bederow represented a nurse who was arrested for felony child abuse in Queens for allegedly striking her daughter with a belt and electrical cord. After extensive negotiation, all charges were dismissed and sealed.
- He obtained a dismissal and sealing of all charges against a New York City teacher who was falsely accused of assaulting his girlfriend. Mr. Bederow presented investigative findings that exposed the lack of credibility of the complaining witness to the Manhattan District Attorney.
- He gained a dismissal and sealing of all charges against a movie cameraman who was falsely accused of assaulting his live-in girlfriend. After Mr. Bederow presented findings to the Manhattan District Attorney that proved the complaining witness was lying, the District Attorney agreed to dismiss the case.
- Mr. Bederow secured a dismissal and sealing of all charges on two separate criminal complaints about a client who was falsely accused of assaulting her boyfriend.
- He obtained a dismissal and sealing of all charges against a business owner who was accused of assaulting his wife. The allegations were made during a pending divorce.
- He obtained a dismissal of all charges against a financial executive and public figure accused of assaulting his wife and trespassing in Westchester County. These allegations were made during a contentious divorce proceeding.
- He secured a dismissal and sealing of all charges against a New York City employee accused of assaulting his girlfriend. After he presented findings that proved the complaining witness was lying, the Bronx District Attorney moved to dismiss the case.
- He represented a student who was accused of burglary and assault for allegedly breaking into his girlfriend's apartment and assaulting another man. After presenting the Manhattan District Attorney with findings that proved the complaining witness was not a credible witness, the case was resolved with a non-criminal disposition.
Call our firm at (212) 256-9491 to get started on your case today with our New York City domestic violence attorney.