New York City Larceny & Fraud Lawyer
Let an Experienced Defense Attorney Fight for You
Larceny and fraud are two types of theft-related crimes that can have far-reaching and life-changing penalties. If you are under investigation or have been arrested for any theft-related crime, it is important to consult with an experienced New York City larceny and fraud lawyer who understands the potential collateral consequences that can result from your case.
At the Law Office of Mark A. Bederow, P.C., we offer the comprehensive representation you are seeking. In your time of need, you can count on us to fight aggressively to protect your rights and your future.
Call (212) 256-9491 now to schedule a free consultation.
How We Can Help You
Larceny, fraud, and other types of theft crimes range from misdemeanors to felonies and have varying penalties. Our New York City larceny and fraud attorney fights to protect the Constitutional rights of the criminally accused.
Mr. Bederow has represented many clients accused of theft-related crimes including:
- Grand larceny
- Credit card fraud
- Identity theft
- Federal bank fraud
- Mortgage fraud
- Social Security fraud
- Public benefits fraud
All theft-related crimes are considered crimes of dishonesty that can have ramifications well beyond jail time. For example, licensed professionals — including doctors, lawyers, and traders — may face disciplinary and licensing problems because of arrests and convictions for crimes of dishonesty (even misdemeanors), which must be reported.
A Reputation for Success
Mr. Bederow has over 20 years of experience and has represented many individuals – from students to healthcare professionals – in larceny and fraud cases.
Here are some examples of past case results Mr. Bederow has achieved for clients accused of larceny or fraud:
- High dismissal rate on first-arrest shoplifting charges and other petit larceny charges.
- He represented an individual in connection with a lengthy criminal investigation of MTA contractor fraud. He negotiated a non-prosecution agreement for the client.
- Mr. Bederow represented a financial analyst accused of credit card fraud and grand larceny. Despite the prosecution's claim that the client was observed on video using a stolen credit card, all charges were dismissed and sealed.
- He represented an employee at a large investment bank investigated for theft of proprietary information. The client avoided all criminal charges and civil penalties.
- He defended a student charged with grand larceny for allegedly stealing dozens of long car-service rides. All charges were dismissed and sealed.
- He represented a student charged in two separate indictments with numerous counts of credit card fraud and grand larceny. The client was observed on video and was apprehended with stolen property. All the charges were dismissed and sealed.
- He served as counsel for a bookkeeper investigated for stealing more than $100,000 from her client. Despite a full confession (made before Mr. Bederow was retained), the client avoided prosecution in the court of law.
- Mr. Bederow represented a television professional investigated for $100,000 insurance fraud. The client successfully avoided prosecution.
- He handled the case of a contractor in a lengthy Port Authority Fair Labor and Prevailing Wage criminal investigation. The client avoided prosecution and civil penalties.
- He provided representation for a husband and wife accused of Social Security fraud. The couple was accused of cashing checks of a deceased relative for years. He negotiated a civil resolution with the U.S. Attorney, which allowed the clients to avoid federal prosecution.
- He defended an individual accused of sophisticated public benefits fraud. He negotiated a civil resolution, and the client avoided prosecution.
- He represented a client who never appeared for sentencing in a grand larceny case and faced years in state prison. He advised the client to "self-report." After explaining mitigating factors, Mr. Bederow convinced the Manhattan District Attorney to dismiss the indictment in the interest of justice.
- He represented a client charged with grand larceny for allegedly stealing money in connection with a complex apartment rental scheme. He successfully negotiated a non-criminal resolution for his client.
- He represented a real estate agent in a high-profile short sale federal mortgage fraud indictment. The client received a sentence well beneath both the federal sentencing guidelines and the government's sentencing recommendation.
- He handled the case of a client in a multimillion-dollar federal mortgage fraud indictment. The client received a non-jail sentence despite federal sentencing guidelines calling for a sentence of more than 30 months of incarceration.
- He provided representation for a chiropractor in a complex, multi-defendant million-dollar healthcare fraud indictment. He successfully negotiated an outcome where the client was the only medical professional who avoided incarceration.
- He served as counsel for a client indicted for several counts of grand larceny and possession of stolen property. His client was arrested in possession of stolen credit cards and checks. Mr. Bederow was retained after the client was indicted for several felonies, but successfully negotiated a misdemeanor sentence, which allowed the client to avoid jail time.