New York City Sex Crime Lawyer
Fighting for the Sexually Criminally Accused
Sex crimes are very serious offenses that often result in lengthy prison sentences. A conviction for a sexual offense may also require you to register as a sex offender. Even merely being accused of committing a sex crime can negatively impact your reputation, your current or future employment, your enrollment in school, and many other aspects of your life.
If you or a loved one is being investigated or prosecuted for a sexual offense, it is critical to hire an attorney who has handled these types of cases, and who is an experienced investigator and trial attorney. At the Law Office of Mark A. Bederow, P.C., we have over 20 years of experience to put to work for you. Our New York City sex crime defense attorney fights tirelessly for his criminally accused clients.
Cases We Handle in New York
A sex crime is any type of illegal offense that is sexual in nature. It can be committed against a child or an adult. Sex crimes range in severity from misdemeanors to felonies and carry varying penalties.
We defend clients facing all types of sex crime charges, including:
Rape - Non-consensual sexual intercourse through physical force or other duress (threats or use of narcotics)
Sexual assault - Subjecting someone to sexual contact without their consent
Child pornography - Possession of a sexual performance of a child (someone 16 years old or younger)
Sexual misconduct - Any misconduct of a sexual nature that is of a lesser offense than felony sexual assault
Sexual abuse of a child - Any sexual action between an adult and a child (or between two children if there is a notable age difference)
Prostitution and solicitation - Asking for money in exchange for sex
Indecent exposure - Exposing one's genitals in public
Our New York City sex crime defense attorney is ready to fight for you both in and out of the courtroom. Though we strive to settle cases quickly and favorably, we are never afraid to defend our clients in trial.
Forcible Touching NY Statute of Limitations
The statute of limitations for forcible touching in New York is only two years.
Why Choose the Law Office of Mark A. Bederow, P.C.?
As a former Manhattan prosecutor, Mr. Bederow understands and has handled sex crime cases from both sides of the courtroom. Because he understands how prosecutors approach these cases, he is able to build airtight defense strategies that prove effective for the criminally accused. Since he has been in private practice as a criminal defense lawyer, Mr. Bederow has gained vast experience vigorously defending the rights and reputations of his clients in connection with sexual offense charges.
Here are a few examples of Mr. Bederow's successes in past sex crime cases:
- He gained an acquittal after a jury trial in a case where the client – a partner at a large financial institution – was accused of forcing intercourse upon his girlfriend while also assaulting her. Mr. Bederow's cross-examination of the complaining witness included exposure of many inconsistent statements, including some made via email, and exposed the weakness of the prosecution's case.
- He represented an athletic trainer who was investigated for allegedly molesting several high school students while treating them in the locker room. After a lengthy investigation, which included evidence gathered by the defense and an interview with the client, the client avoided criminal charges.
- He represented a financial analyst who was accused in family court of sexually assaulting his then-girlfriend. He was investigated by the local sheriff's office. Family court proceedings were dismissed, and the client avoided prosecution.
- He provided legal advocacy for a Level 2 sexual offender (medium risk), which the client asked to be downgraded to a Level 1 offender (low risk). After a hearing was conducted in Bronx County Supreme Court, the Court granted the client's petition and downgraded him to Level 1 over the objection of the Bronx District Attorney.
- He represented a pharmacist who was accused of sexually assaulting customers in the basement of a Queens pharmacy. After a lengthy investigation and the presentation of his findings to the Queens District Attorney, the client avoided a criminal record and was not required to register as a sex offender.
- He provided representation for a woman charged with felony possession of child pornography in Manhattan. The client made incriminating admissions before hiring Mr. Bederow's law firm. After extensive negotiations and the presentation of mitigating circumstances to the Manhattan District Attorney, the client pleaded guilty to a non-sexual offense misdemeanor, which allowed her to avoid jail and the requirement to register as a sex offender.
- He represented a college student arrested for unlawfully video recording naked images of students. The client was charged with several felony counts. After extensive negotiations, the client avoided a felony conviction, the requirement to register as a sex offender, and jail time. He was also allowed to remain in school.
- He represented a store manager who was arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting an employee. After the presentation of the defense's investigation results, the Queens District Attorney dismissed all charges.